26 February 2011

The Desk Chair Review of Books

On the Song of Songs I (The Works of Bernard of Clairvaux, Vol 1)On the Song of Songs I by Bernard of Clairvaux

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Though this is only the first of a four-volume work, Bernard is intriguing enough as a preacher to merit a few words. His sermons on the Song of Songs take some getting used to, being filled with allegorical theology intermixed with some intermittently strange imagery.  What ultimately drew me in was the "ad hoc" quality of what Bernard preached to his monks, giving the reader a sense that he's eavesdropping on a conversation many centuries old.  Of course, we only get Bernard's side of the dialogue, but the praise and reproach he offered his brother monks is none the poorer for that.

More on Bernard when I finish the series...

View all my reviews

No comments: